Welcome to The Human-automation Interaction and Cognition Lab (THInC) home page. Our research is conducted primarily in the context of highly complex event-driven domains, such as aviation, the military, space operations, medicine, and the automotive industry. Our main research interests include:
- Design and evaluation of multimodal interfaces (including sight, sound, and touch) in support of human-computer interaction and computer-supported collaborative work
- Support for attention and interruption management through adaptive notifications and preattentive reference
- Design of decision aids that support trust calibration and adaptive function allocation
- Human error and error/disturbance management
- 1/23/17 Dr. Sarter gave an invited presentation to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine Committee on Aviation Safety Assurance titled “Cognitive Engineering Aspects of Aviation Safety Assurance” in Washington, DC.
- 12/15/16 Congratulations to Kevin Lieberman who just passed his qualifying exam!
- 11/17/16 Congratulations to Yuzhi Wan who just passed his preliminary exam!
- 9/23/16 Dr. Sarter, Dr. Pitts and Yuzhi Wan presented their work at the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Conference in Washington D.C.
- 9/18/16 Congratulations to Yuzhi Wan for winning the Student Author Presentation Support Award (SAPSA) from the HFES Council of Technical Groups!
- 9/15/16 Congratulations to Dr. Pitts for winning first place in the ATLAS Meeting Challenges of Safe Transportation in An Aging Society Symposium poster competition hosted by the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI).
- 8/24/16 Congratulations to Kevin Lieberman for wining the Lawrence C. Fortier Scholarship from the Air Traffic Control Association (ATCA)!
- 8/11/16 Congratulations to Dr. Julie Prinet who submitted her dissertation and passed her defense!
- 6/21/16 Dr. Sarter serves on the National Academies (Board on Human-Systems Integration) Expert Panel on FAA Staffing Issues.
- 5/16/16 Congratulations to Yidu Lu who just passed her qualifying exam!
- 5/11/16 Congratulations to Dr. Brandon Pitts who submitted his dissertation and passed his defense!
- 5/2/16 Congratulations to Kevin Lieberman for winning the National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship!
- 3/1/16 Brandon Pitts, Julie Prinet and Yuzhi Wan will be presenting at the 2016 Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Conference in Washington D.C.
- 6/2/15 Congratulations to Dr. Sarter who has been appointed as the Director of the Center for Ergonomics (read)
- 5/5/15 Congratulations to Julie Prinet for winning second place in the Stanley Roscoe Best Student Paper Award at the International Symposium of Aviation Psychology!
- 5/4/15 Julie Prinet presented her research at the International Symposium of Aviation Psychology.
- 5/1/15 Congratulations to Dr. Nadine Moacdieh who submitted her dissertation and passed her defense!
- 4/28/15 Congratulations to Brandon Pitts for being inducted into the Edward Alexander Bouchet Graduate Honor Society!
- 2/3/15 Congratulations to Brandon Pitts for winning the College of Engineering ScholarPOWER Academic Award!
- 1/21/15 Dr. Sarter is quoted in a Michigan Daily article on airplane automation (read)
- 10/27/14 Brandon Pitts and Nadine Moacdieh presented their work at the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Conference in Chicago.